Atrox - "Empire State" - CD / Out now !!!

industrial und artverwandter bereich

Moderatoren: haiwire, thedi, chikan

Beitragvon logic_system » 21.03.2008 (14:05)

lol hab beim überfliegen der rezi das "bad saugaul" als englisches wort gelesen "bäd szaugaeu - was istn das bitte???" *g
M.A.O.:MELODICABORTIONORCHESTRA

live:
30/04/11 - Howard der Delphin präsentiert: Musik für Eingeweide. New Force, Erlangen

www.umbkollektif.com/mao
melodicabortionorchestra.bandcamp.com
logic_system

rezi auf heathen harvest:

Beitragvon white room » 04.02.2009 (8:26)

“Empire State” appears to be a concept record themed around the construction and being of the Empire State Building and the meaning and ramifications of such a construct. A veritable iron and steel monster, the skyscraper (as a concept in general) stands as a disturbing monument to man's hubris, not to mention phallus. Much like how Matthew Barney gave sinister and villainous characteristics to the Chrysler Building in the film “Cremaster 3,” Atrox meditates upon most horrific concepts of possession through architecture. A building stands to most as a testament to human accomplishment, here the Empire State Building becomes the sum of mans fears. Largely consisting of swells of high pitched and demonic synths, the first three tracks are rather high pitched in mood and feature a bass tone that drove my mixer completely in the red while listening to it.

Strange vocals are muttered at a level that in almost inaudible, and when turning up the volume in order to make them out, it had a very unpleasant effect on the mixing board as well. “Downstairs” is a change, very intense rhythmic pulses fading in and out of one another. I like this one quite a bit, it reminds me of early TG and NON, and minimalist techno (although with a very dark bent). A major theme of Atrox seems to be static, giving the impression of the by-products of technological over-saturation. A healthy length and a classic 70's soundtrack feel takes “Downstairs” over the top. After this track, a rhythmic element is introduced that carries throughout the record, but on “Rise and Fall” we are quickly back to the grinding walls of high-pitched synth and static. Sounding very much like an industrial power tool orchestra (sans jackhammer, until the final minute or so where it arrives triumphantly), this track works as a very grating mind-point to the record. The title track has a violent static-y noise vibe, black and impactful. The threat of danger seems to come to fruition on this track, with brutal rhythms carrying a violent wave with no predetermined destination.

The vocals come back toward the end, and the tracks become more obscure and high-pitched. There is a similarity to Whitehouse both in a use of whispered voices contrasted with violent high pitched sounds, but even more strikingly in the genuine weirdness of the constructions. However, the personality is somewhat grey and vague here, which detracts a bit from my enjoyment of the music. Also, for my tastes, this record was mixed in a manner that makes it very difficult to listen to, but I can see that a lot of work and unique ideas went into this. Overall, this is a unique release recommended to those looking for more power electronics, if you are in need of a break from the classics.
ATROX - OUT NOW:

"BLUT AN DEN HÄNDEN" - BOX 2MCD in G3-Magazin.

ATROX - "Skulptur" CDR / Ambient-Tracks zu Phobos 3

20 Jahre ATROX
-------
http://www.stoefi.de (atrox)
http://www.myspace.com/atroxindustrial
white room

Vorherige

Zurück zu releases: cd, cd-r, vinyl, mc, md